Thursday, December 16, 2010

Aged 55? Sorry, no credit card for you

The Straits Times
www.straitstimes.comPublished on Dec 13, 2010

Aged 55? Sorry, no credit card for you

THE Government is encouraging senior citizens to keep working, yet banks are placing an age limit on credit card applications.

I am a 55-year-old human resource professional and I have been rejected twice by HSBC when I applied for a credit card.

Two months ago, I was at Dhoby Ghaut MRT station and was approached by an HSBC promoter to sign up for a credit card. When she asked for my identity card and saw my age, she said I did not qualify for the card.

When I asked why, she would say only that she had been instructed by management not to accept anyone in my age group.

The same thing happened with another HSBC promoter a month later at International Plaza.

I am disappointed with HSBC's attitude. People in my age group are working professionals and I do not see why we are not eligible for credit cards.

Tang Lye Kuen (Ms)
Copyright © 2010 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

No comments: